Sign in to follow this  
KGuida

Putting the Special Code in The Rules

When applying for a whitelist spot, I found that the current place of secret word was very bland and easy to find. I would suggest moving it into a deeper part of the rules and not labeling it "Secret Code". I think this would make more applicants read the rules in depth and look for the word rather than just skimming over everything and missing the whole point.

This has been discussed before, but there are a couple reasons we keep it the way it is.

It would be awesome if everyone read all of the rules, even the ones that might never apply to them (like ones involved in elections and staff structure or amending the charter). Hiding the secret word deeper would only lead to confusion for applicants that did read the charter but missed the word and would only deter those who are only looking for the word slightly.

The main reason we have the secret word at all is to make sure all applicants have gotten a chance to read the rules, not to make sure they have read them in full. I like to think of it as a lot like a Terms of Service. You should read it and there is some good information within it, but you can go ahead and click agree without reading. If you choose not to read, you are only harming yourself.

If you still have a better idea for hiding the secret word without causing problems, feel free to submit a draft of a new location in PM to any staff member.

Much like Pande said, in entering the proper secret word you are basically agreeing to the fact that you have read the rules, though if you haven't actually taken the very few minutes to read them the only person you're affecting long-term is you. We don't need to hide it, because those who don't read usually end up either not getting whitelisted, or a ways down the road they'll get themselves banned.

Hiding the code would be a good idea for something secret, and in this case, it's to test if you really care. I do have to agree with rolo, however. He is right that if the player just reads over it and finds the code that they could end up in trouble or not being added.

Honestly, I was working on my application before I even realized there was a set of rules on the website, but once I found out about the rule set I automatically went there and started to read through them. When I got to the end where the secret word is located, I forgot that is the reason I had even went to the rule page to begin with! The rule page is an interesting read that is pretty brief and easy to get through!

Sign in to follow this