RashE (IrashiHeart)

An Audience with the King: Chapter One.

52b7190a7c0bf65f95ffe52043cf4caf--writin

Kingstone's Royal Study was dim. The chatter in the castle had started to die down after dinner had finished, and soon all Ike could hear was the whispering of the wind. The room was round, a massive rosewood desk was cluttered with papers and books. A glass inkwell reflected the dancing light of the candle lighting the king's workstation. Bookshelves lined the walls, grimoires and records held the secrets of Everneth, Vennterria, and Calpheon's histories. A massive painting behind him depicted the western gate of the city he built. He was seated in a massive spruce armchair, its padding was cotton, bound by a dark red leather. Two equally as comfortable twin maple chairs sat vacant before the desk.

Closing the day's records, his attempt at a sip of brew was interrupted by a sound at the door...

(( This is the first "chapter" of a series attempting to give the community an opportunity to engage in a public roleplay instance. Feel free to respond to this post, but remember to be "in-character", this means no meta-gaming (acting with information you as a player has that your character shouldn't) or "anomaly characters" (this is Everneth's Roleplay, I shouldn't be talking to a cybernetic mickey mouse). Also, attempt not to interrupt unless it's urgent, or if the conversation has died (wait for Icarus to be alone before having your character enter the stage). Finally, our conversations will benefit from a character profile, which will give me a better idea of how your character appears and acts. ))

• Like 1

"H-hello? Ike? Oh, Greetings Ike. Am I interrupting something or do you have a minute to spare?" Kordon asks, seeming very mildly irritated with himself.

Edited by TheSteelNinja14
(realized the rooms shape allowed Kordon to see Ike as he was entering.)

Releasing his grip on the boomstick below his desk, Icarus welcomes one of his oldest friends. "Hail, Kordon. No, in fact, I just finished. Sit down, what is it?" returning the stein to his lips, he looked Kordon in the eyes as he drank.

Soldier, the king's canine companion, lowered his head again with a "humph" and curled up by the fireplace along the east wall. A crow caws in the night.

"Ok, I'll try to make this brief considering we have... well, a 'visitor'. I've checked with the guards and they're fine with me bringing her in." Kordon notions to the guard stationed by the doorway. A small girl walks in, heavily eyed by the guard.

"She just kind of appeared one night in Kuiken a few weeks ago and wouldn't leave the gates, she wasn't doing anything wrong so I took her under my watch and she seemed to just adore the stories I had told her of Kuiken, Kingstone overall and you." Kordon, looking over his shoulder to see if she was still there, returned his view to Ike.

"I offered to bring her here to see you in person, and here we are now. I hope you don't mind" As Kordon shifts to the right and guides the visitor to where he was just standing, keeping a close eye along with the guards present.

With a raised eyebrow, Icarus greets what can only be described as a maid. She had blue hair like the Shade's, but paler, and nearly a foot taller. "Yes, we have met before. Not a small amount of her notes are strewn around this study, now that Fredrick has decoded them." pausing for a moment, he continued. "At first we thought it was an act of terrorism or a warning of incoming danger, you stirred up quite the chase. You should've just come to me in the main hall, or written to me directly."

The maid was just starting to open her mouth when the hall was filled with the sound of a hurried struggle. Once again gripping tight onto the grip of his boomstick, he prepared the doors to fly open. There were loud and abrasive shouts at first, but then they quickly died down to a murmur, the door swung open.

It was the mage, short of breath and stammering.

"Icarus, it's come! The, it's-" Alfrety allowed himself two breaths before continuing, "Sent, gotten, I've gotten-" The mage was wheezing at this point, "Immediately prepare th-, g-gate, Wheat Gate! fofor," Alfrety dropped to the floor on a knee, no longer even attempting the unsightly presentation.

It was then that the parrot previously riding in Alfrety's side-bag emerged, possibly pitying the elf. "Icarus immediately!" Giffold ruffled his feathers and impatiently squawked. "From Toloram! It's from Toloram!" Giffold hopped out of the bag completely and began prancing around the kneeling Mage.

Alfrety scooped Giffold off of the ground and placed him onto his shoulder like the shade taught him, before continuing, "Yes... Finally, Icarus, I've received word from Wizard Toloram. A small parcel, It contains instructions! He has devised a spell- A teleportation spell- One to return me to Gelienor!" Alfrety, uncharacteristically overflowing with excitement, begged of the king, "Please, come with me, we must go to the wheat gate!" Alfrety had again forgotten the visitors, turning his view back to them, awkwardly offering, "Eh! You two, you should- uh, come as well!"

Toloram? Icarus always thought the old master was dead, not that the letters would ever reach him. Every day the magic of Calpheon and Gelienor surprised him, and if Fredrick knew Toloram has written, then he had written. Pushing the armchair back as he sat up, he holstered the boomstick in his belt. Even without his plate armor, Icarus took the sheathed Brisingr that was laid against the wall near him and attached it to his belt as well.

He motioned towards Kordon and Rem, agreeing "Might as well. You too, shade." Rolling off the beam in the roof she was sleeping on, Nicku dropped to the floor, and Icarus was amused by his guests' surprised reactions. It was only when Icarus saw her crying face that Ike realized that if Fredrick went back to Toloram he wouldn't be coming back. As the two members of the Inner Circle embraced Ike remembered the day he met the mage. He was curled up in the mud and rain. A corpse, Fredrick's soul was stabilized by the king's and ever since that night they had been close friends despite the elf's coldness, and a priceless advisor despite the elf's worries.

He would be sorely missed, but Gelienor was his home as Kingstone was Ike's, and Ike would not be kept from Kingstone.

"We should get going. Kordon, you and Rem are welcomed to follow us, what do you say?" the king asked, clearing his throat.

"Of course i'll go, anything for Alfrety!" Kordon said, still surprised by the drop in from the shade coming from th... the ceiling? Then it hit him like a punch to the gut. Now much less enthusiastic as the dread hit him, creeping up from the chest to the face.

troubled by the thought that Alfrety wouldn't be coming back, it was best for Kordon to think of something else for the time being, he can't handle loss much more after the many battles he had and losing Kuiken many years ago. the thought of all the years flooded back to him, but there's nothing you can do to stop the memories. This is where not thinking of something else leads to you klutz! Kordon thought. Stay strong in front of everyone. most of all Alfrety, least of all you want is a bad last memory with him. He thought as well. It was time to change the subject in his head before he had a full out mental war.

"You coming Rem?" Was the best sentence he could muster. Anything else would have came out in a garbled sentence. "We can introduce you to everyone on the way to the gate"

The shade, the maid, the mage, the 'glaive, and the king went as five down the castle's causeway. The night sky was filled with countless stars and strokes of pink and blue, it was getting colder. The inner city was fast asleep and in silence the five bodies took the staircase in a tower along the inner wall that led them to them to the Noble Gate's battlements. There they followed the eastern outer wall, passing guards making their rounds and soon the wheat of the Wheat Gate was seen, the dark blue tint of night over an unmistakably golden crop.

Now on the ground level, Ike passed his hand over the tips of barley as they walked the path. Soon they were standing together in the port and stood around Fredrick and waited.

"When you're ready," said the King.

• Like 1

"Within the parcel;" Älfrety flipped through various pages within a bound notebook, "were instructions to build a large stone archway to house a temporary opening between our worlds. The Wheat gate here should suffice, however." Not looking up from the diagrams, Älfrety approached until he was just under the wheat gate, placing crumbling sandstone crystals at symmetrical locations.

Preparations silently continued for a few moments, until only the last foundation had not yet been placed. One last sandstone crystal would mean the end of his journey through Everneth. Älfrety turned slowly back toward Icarus, only to grant him the same petrified silence he offered before their first words. Nothing he could say would rightfully express his sorrow, and his joy; his gratitude and his remorse. A guilt-ridden part of Älfrety's cowering psyche wanted nothing more but to cast away the crystal; but Tirannwn needed him. That is why;

Älfrety outstretched a hand to Icarus, extending the final crystal to the King, his friend. "All this time," Älfrety pained himself to say, "I could not understand how to begin paying the debt of my life... But once you place this crystal, my debt will be payed in full..." Having lost the strength to fight it, a single moonlit tear emerged and fell. "As I will be an elf in Gelienor; and that is worth nothing."

Swallowing hard, Icarus Forde took the shard of shale from the mage. "It's been an honor. Well, you'll be off then." It wouldn't be his first goodbye, and it was always better to end it quickly. Finishing the Wheat Gate's transdimensional construct, there was a definite shift in space, followed by a golden radiance and a forceful shockwave.

Blinded, Ike shielded his eyes from the sudden change in brightness, and before he could confirm with the mage that this was normal, he heard Fredrick cry out with despair. Adjusting to the light, Ike made out a massive figure crawling its way out from under the Wheat Gate. Two gargantuan arms struggled against the earth as what must have been tons and tons of sand gushed out in waves towards them. Soon a skull twice as tall as Icarus himself had been freed from the weight of the coarse grain that had buried it. Roaring out in laughter:

"FOOL! YOU THOUGHT YOU COULD CONTAIN ME!? YOU ARE OUTWITTED ONCE AGAIN, ELF!"

"Alfrety!? What is the meaning of this!?" demanded the king. Panic and fury pounded through his skull as Brisngr left its scabbard. Unsure whether to face the giant or the elf, Icarus cursed his own foolishness, his own naivety. He had grown so comfortable with what he couldn't understand, he'd seen the dangers of power during his life in Vennterria and learned nothing. He'd opened a portal right into Kingstone, on nothing but trust and word. One mistake. One lapse in judgment, it's all it had taken to throw Kingstone into peril yet again. The thought stung, and his gut felt empty and scorching.

"Oh god... Oh no..." Kordon coughed through the dust. This was all too familiar. A mental panic took way. Many creatures, very different, but just as fearsome as this beast took residence in the old Kuiken. With a blink, however, the fear was gone and replaced by anger. Not by the curse but for the beast. The Prismarine blade was not on him but a dagger he always kept in case of emergency's. It would be no good.

"Icarus! Before you try attacking, Back up! Although the boomstick won't be of help, it will give us time to recollect!" Yelled Kordon.  "You too Rem!"

"Nicku, if you have your hammer nearby. get it now!"

Many errors in how i wrote it

"Okie!" the shade nodded seriously, her long ears lagging behind as she did. Much like Brisingr, Crestshade's hammer had been designed to be recalled. Holding out the leather gauntlet wrapped around her left arm, the handle of her massive wooden mallet formed in her small hands as ironwood splinters and large metal bands arrived at the scene to reform her weapon of choice.

Ignoring Kordon, Ike was fixated still on the elf, despite his sword being pointed at the giant. "Well!?"

"YOU ASK FOR ANSWERS HE DOES NOT HAVE, FIERY MORTAL. EVEN ALIVE, HE EXECUTES MY WILL BLINDLY; AND ALL IT TOOK WAS A NAME IN INK!" The lich howled a maniacal laughter into the night air, now bitter with dust, sand, and the stench of decay.
    Alfrety's eyes widened, his hands grasping in vain at the flowing sand beneath, now painfully aware he had been decieved. "The sandstone..."
    "DELICIOUS! YOUR MIND WAS SO FILLED WITH DELIGHTFUL MEMORIES OF A FRIEND PASSED THAT YOU FAILED TO RECOGNIZE THE CHIPPED WALLS OF MY OWN TOMB!"
    Alfrety's face warped into a tearful grimace, "He has not passed!"
    A twisted, skeletal smile spread across what shreds of face still hung from Grandiere's massive skull, "IF YOU DO NOT BELIEVE MY WORDS, THERE IS STILL ANOTHER WHO CAN TELL YOU. PEER INTO YOUR TRINKET AS YOU HAVE MANY TIMES BEFORE; IT HAS NO REASON TO LIE."
    Alfrety reached a single, trembling hand into the heart pocket of his robes, retrieving the Mage Eye and its lens. With Alfrety elsewhere, Grandiere turned his focus to the others, making his offering: "IF YOU WISH TO RESIST, KNOW THIS: THE ELF IS ALREADY DEFEATED. IF YOU FLEE NOW, I WILL LEAVE YOU WITH YOUR LIVES."
    With a tremendous slam of one hand onto the earth, Sun-bleached skeletons rose from the sand in hordes. Unarmed but numerous, they shambled near the lich awaiting a command.  "I CAME FOR THE ELF, RESIST AND I SHALL CLAIM YOUR FLESH. DO NOT ADD GIFTS TO HIS PAYMENT; FLEE OR PERISH."

Icarus would deal with the elf later, the sand dripping arms and skull had one thing correct. For now, the mage was broken. The Wheat Gate's parasite remained, however, and now it was time to dance. Forcing a malicious smile, Icarus spoke quietly. "I choose 'perish'. You forfeited my ability to stay neutral the second you invaded Kingstone." Quieter still, he whispered to Kordon in an attempt to keep the enemy unaware. "Kordon, make your way 'round to the Noble Gate and demand a sentry's broadsword. Climb the battlements and wait on a Wheat Gate tower. On my mark, you are to plunge deep into the Lich's skull from above. Shade, keep Rem safe and retreat down to the port."

The shade's eyebrows furrowed and as she opened her mouth Ike finished: "That's an order." Glancing back at the Lich and then at Ike again, she grabbed Rem's hand and led her away from the gate, furious.

With luck, he wouldn't need the curse but Kordon was right, the single shot boomstick was a liability and low caliber at that. Inhaling deeply, Ike charged into the fray. Mid-step his back foot was caught and he fell flat on his chest. Rolling, he saw the dry skeletal hand that had grabbed him. As he swung Brisingr at its wrist, a new skeletal warrior made his way out from under the still flowing sand. Without the curse's boost to his reaction time, he was too slow to parry the blow against his neck as Brisingr was still between his legs. He braced, but instead of the sound of steel against throat, he heard a woosh and a metallic twang. The sound shook him and Icarus rolled out of the grasp on his foot. Standing up, a swing from Brisingr shattered a third undead warrior and Ike turned his vision to the source of his savior.

Agista Rustero, daughter of the Empress, was catching her scythe as it spun back to her. Barefoot and in loose black clothing Ike realized she had just been sleeping. "For someone who hates me, you save my life a LOT," the King teased.

Smiling, she turned into smoke and then appeared by his side, "Somebody had to. And I AM your 'glaive." The sound of shambling corpses and rushing sand caught their attention once more.

"A fucking Nec, it had to be a Nec, didn't it Murphy?" Ike cursed. But this one was far stronger than Ulthur, and ever so slightly bigger. "With me," he commanded. Agista smiled and vanished again.

Now careful of the sand, Ike swung from above, smashing the ribcage of the nearest enemy minion. Its spine had caught Brisingr however and without hesitation, the king had cleaved through it and two of its skeletons comrades in one mighty cleave. Agista had appeared behind a column of the undead and halved them all. As her scythe was still swinging, her free hand cast purple flames that sent several more back to whence they came. The fight was on and despite their number, Kingstone's enemies were slow and fragile. Foe after skeletal foe fell, shattered, and broke. The two of them were quickly making headway towards their malformed master.

• Like 1

Nodding, Kordon takes the first chance he gets to roll into the fields towards the noble gate. Crawling, until Kordon is sure the Lich won't see him, he stands and runs.

"I hate to bother you guards, but Its me, Kordon. I need one of your blades, I don't have my own on me currently." Giving Kordon a confused look, the left sides sentry guard reluctantly hands over their broadsword. "I can make it up to you later!" Yells Kordon as he dashes towards the battlements, making mud boot tracks on the ground with each step he takes. Not thinking of what else could possible go wrong here. 

A pair of footsteps echoes within the tower and in no time, Kordon is resting quietly at the top, waiting for the kings command. Crouching down, Kordon is observing the battle with a newly found broadsword. Sure, it couldn't control the tides but it would give the beast hell given the right timing. Having a moment to take a breather, he looks out of the tower and looking directly down at the Lich. Then to Ike, reflecting the moonlight off his dagger towards him to grab his attention that Kordon is ready to drop.

Thinking this very well could be his end if he screws this up, Kordon makes a prayer to Poseidon while he waits for the signal. 

A new cascade of sand suddenly erupted from the gate. What laid beyond the far side of the portal caused the wheat gate to begin tremoring viciously, threatening the integrity of the walls themselves, reverberating with the force of a massive collapse. Sand and bones alike spewed forth from the rip in space at great speed, now containing large, broken slabs of sandstone.
    "WHAT IS THE MEANING OF THIS!?" Grandiere bellowed against the sound of rumbling earth, "NO MATTER! SLAY THE ELF NOW! INTER HIM TO OUR RANKS AND WE SHALL RETURN TO NHARR'ZAL!"
    Hearing his command, his undead legion turned at once to rush back through the portal behind the lich, fighting against the torrent of sand.
    "WHAT IS THIS TREACHERY!?" The lich swung his head around the fields, scanning for Älfrety. "COWARD! WHERE-"
    A sandstone pillar tall as the walls themselves sped through the portal and swept beneath one of the gargantuan arms of the Lich, sending him off balance crashing into the ground chin-first.
    Before he could right himself, Grandiere was struck by another pillar, and a segment of wall barely narrow enough to fit through the gap. The massive lich struggled desperately to put his arms beneath himself as pieces of his pyramid assailed him one by one, before one struck his skull directly, shattering the black bone and exposing a font of vulnerable fleshes beneath.

Watching the battle go on, Kordon decides to take out his waterskin, figuring he’d know what the signal would be when he heard or saw it. So he paid more attention to Icarus in case it was a visual signal. After taking a sip of water high in the night, the ground and gate trembled, causing some water to be spilt, wetting the stones of the tower he was hiding on. Looking down upon the Lich, he sees the pillars firing out of the portal. Catching the Liches hands, keeping him on the ground. Crushing the Skeletal warriors that were retreating on his command through the sandstorm and the surrounding crop, leaving indents into the fields. One strikes the Lich on the back, revealing flesh and a little blood spilling on the fields. Both Ike and Kordon seeing this as the perfect timing, A familiar battle cry bounces off the land.

“FOR KINGSTONE!”

Dropping the waterskin and the dagger, almost tripping off. Kordon takes the jump, drawing the blade as he was jumping and readying it while falling into a downward strike, Kordon in a squatting position with the blade centered from his chest. Bracing for impact on his ankles, the sword pierces through the flesh halfway before hitting something hard. The Lich reacting almost immediately, thrashes, throwing Kordon unbalanced and almost falling off. A shadow passes overhead and almost right away, Kordon knew who it was.

Unlike the Lich, Ike had seen the sandstone colonnade coming and without the burden of his Roseplate, he easily dodged it. Grandiere was still reeling and dazed, and now that is skull had been cracked, it was time.

"For Kingstone!" Icarus roared out, the Kingstonian call-to-action was echoed by Kordon and the 'glaive let the full force of his fall penetrate deep into the Lich's inner flesh. Kordon quickly dismounted and rolled, however, when he noticed the shade spinning violently through the air. With a loud smack, her hammer crushed upon the blade's pommel and a dark miasma that could be mistaken for blood gushed out of the Lich. Agista released the abyssal restraints she had struggled to suppress the Lich with and the black triangle marks below her eyes had begun to grow now, appearing as large dark fangs on either cheek.

With their master dead, the ranks of skeletal puppets had gone shambling and shattering back into the sand beneath all their feet.

Rem had returned with the shade and Icarus expected that Crestshade would still be mad for a while after. Sheathing Brisingr, Ike asked, "Now, where's that mage?"