Sign in to follow this  
20JPorter

Kingstone and Valland: The Intruder

Jay sat on his throne facepalming as the man before him tried to explain why he tried to explain why he dumped all of the goods of a foreign vessel into the harbor.
“So you're telling me,” Jay said, “that you committed piracy, assault- and you’re lucky it’s not attempted murder- but worse of all wasting the profits of another man? At the very least I’d expect you to, oh, I don’t know, keep their gold and not throw it overboard? I’m paying for this, you know.”

“My King,” the man said, “They ravage villages and enslave innocent people! It was a form of pro-”

A door slammed open. One of Jay’s servants stood on the other side of the doorway.
“Sir,” he said, “Keshi has returned, and returned with the discovery of a new Kingdom to the East called Kingstone. She has brought a delegate named Kordon.”

“Prepare a meal, the spare embassy, all the formalities. As for this man here, I find you guilty of all charges, and you will be sentenced to ten years of prison work.” Guards dragged the man out. Jay stood up and walked to his public dining table. “Oh, Matthew, one more thing,” Jay said, “Prepare a path for a tour of Valland.”

Keshi and Kordon walked in. Jay stood up and walked towards them. Jay held out a hand.
“Kordon, I assume?”
“Yes, and my apologies, but what is your name, sir?”
“Jay Porter, more specifically King Jay Porter the Twentieth of Valland. Please, take a seat, let us talk over a warm meal.” As Jay and the others sat down, food was rolled in on carts.

“So, tell me more about Kingstone.”

Jay, Kordon, and Keshi walked down the streets of Valland talking.
“And that’s the famous tavern.” Jay said.
“Plenty of alcohol,” Kordon said, “I’m sure this is an attraction for sailors, to make more money.”

“Of course, why wouldn’t it be?” They walked a few steps further.
“Wait, with your Prismarine Blade, I know you can’t turn water into vodka, but can you turn vodka into water?” They all laughed. Jay looked towards the other two, both very obviously blushing even while the sun was retreating.
“Well, King,” Kordon said, “Isn’t the path getting a bit too cold for your feet?”
“No, I once had to go two miles through three foot snow to get to- actually, it is getting late. The embassy in which you will stay is actually right here. A building with two flagpoles, one empty, stood there.
“Thank you King” Kordon said.
“Jay,” Keshi asked, “May I assist him in, um, making the embassy to his liking?”
“Of course. I must also retire, a profitable night you two.” Jay walked off, and Matthew caught up to him. “There goes my first choice for Queen.”
“What, my King?”
“You heard nothing!” Jay said waving his hand towards Matthew as they laughed.

After a long day of meeting with this advisor and that advisor about profits and expansion and diplomacy, Jay was glad to finally retire to his home- more specifically his private library. He began walking upstairs with a lit candle, the wooden steps underneath his feet creaking with every step. He had a small guard of three men behind him, each loudly creaking the steps with the weight of their armor that clattered. Jay stepped onto solid floor and looked to the library.

“Did I leave a candle on?” Jay thought as he put out his hand to tell the guard to stop. He then looked at the men and waved two fingers of his right hand and patted and his left patted down on the air. Jay slowly sneaked towards the library. The most prized records and secret documents were mere feet away, lit up by the light that was not meant to be there. The rest of the floor was open and well lit with chandeliers, but the library was dark unless the King was present in it. Jay felt the hilt of his throwing knife as he peeked into the door of the library.

Inside was a figure, and one he recognized.

“Kordon? What the h- Why are you here?” Jay nearly yelled as Kordon jumped.
“I was just- just reading. What’s wrong with that?”
“This is my private study that only I and guests attended by me may enter. How did you get in?”
“The guard let me in.”
“I demand that you leave imme-”
“I’ve learned your secret, and you will not prevent me from telling my King.”
“What secret? I’m allergic to nuts? Because I have no secrets to keep from nuts I avoid like you.” Jay stretched his arms by moving his hands up his back. Kordon’s hand slowly moved to the scabbard that held the most valuable blade Jay had ever seen. Jay knew it was the most powerful blade he had seen, too. They looked each other in the eye.

A knife flew through the air, shining like gold. A blade sliced through the air, blue as the sea, and extinguished the flying fire. Jay stepped back as he put on his gloves and went into the open room where his three guards stood. Jay emptied his scabbard.

“You know good and well this isn’t worth it.” Jay said.
“I know that it is worth avenging the lives of my fallen brethren.”

Kordon rushed towards the King, blade glowing blue. Jay’s bluesteel-edged sword stood pointed at the approaching enemy. Jay blocked the attack, sending a shockwave through the room that put out all the candles, the only light being the Prismarine Blade and the Library. All of the combatants were pushed away from one another.

“What do you mean your fallen brethren?”
“The ones you killed!”

Kordon again charged at Jay, and the blade that appeared to be made of light was blocked by the bluesteel edge of the sword. Blue sparks fell to the ground as Kordon doged the attack of two swords and a diamond halberd. Jay swung towards Kordon as the guards flanked him and more sparks fell to the floor. Jay immediately swung again. A broken piece of steel fell to the ground surrounded by blue sparks. Jay immediately stepped back to allow his guards to cover for him.

The two swordsmen charged at Kordon and swung at the same time, both swings being blocked by the blue light. Kordon set his blade behind his back as the halberd struck it and swung towards one of the swordsman, skillfully blocking the attack. Kordon turned around and swung the light at the Halberdier. The blade missed the weapon and sliced off the arm holding the weapon, not bleeding because the blade sautered the arm. Kordon swung around and caught the blade of one of the swordsmen. Kordon blocked stroke after stroke of the swordsmen, moving away from the 3-limbed man and his valuable halberd.

“Listen,” Jay whispered, “Everything will be fine.” He bent down and picked up the halberd. The head was made up of a pure bluesteel spear and double-bit axe, all together in one piece. The handle was made of steel and finely tuned to the human hand. He looked towards the fight. One of the guards was missing his legs and the other was struggling to block the repeated strokes from the light. Jay ran towards Kordon, and the swordsman looked towards him. His arm was gone.

Kordon put his blade up to block the stroke of the halberd. A flurry of blue sparks fell to the floor. Jay swung from the side, and again was blocked. Even more sparks began to fall. The light  approached the King but was pushed away in a cloud of sparks. The bluesteel fell towards the prismarine, creating sparks for a full second. Jay pulled back and thrusted the point to Kordon, who parried the bluesteel upwards. Jay swung down as Kordon went to block, but pulled the weapon back as it fell. He stabbed, taking Kordon off guard. The prismarine blade blocked the halberd inches from his face. Sparks flew from the curve of the halberd. The room was lit a bright blue.

As the bluesteel put pressure against the prismarine, the point inched towards Kordon’s face. Move the sword and the doesn’t have a face anymore. The halberd began to glow, and Jay watched in surprise as the steel handle began to grow crystals. Bluesteel crystals. As the will pushed against will, the power against power, the glowing crystals moved towards Jay’s gloved hand. As the crystallization reached the gloves, Jay felt the fibers of the glove turn into a flexible yet strong material. His hands were fine. Jay began shaking. He couldn’t hold this for much longer. The crystallization reached the other glove.

Woosh.

Kordon fell to the floor, dozing off, a dart lodged in the back of his neck. The light began to fade into darkness and sword became normal again.

As Kordon slipped further into sleep, Jay whispered in his ear “Power is no replacement for practice.”

“Take the blade to the Treasury along with that medallion made of gold."
“Yes, my King.”

“Be sure Kordon is taken care of. I plan on profiting from this.”
“Yes, my King.”
“One more thing. Bring me Ke- actually, I’ll do it myself.”
Jay walked up to the room in which his Chief Economic Advisor (Second in Command) resided. Sobs spilled through the hallway. The sobs were like human sobs, but more constant. As he knocked on the door, a servant passed.
“Matthew, get us tea immediately. Preferably the lemongrass tea.” The servant rushed off. The King looked back at the door as it creaked open. Jay stepped inside and was immediately embraced by Keshi, weeping loudly. Jay put his arms around her.
“S- sorry this happened. I tried to deal with this peacefully, but- but-” Keshi kept crying. “He said something about a secret and began to pull his sword. It was too late. After a few minutes of silence- or rather crying- Keshi finally slightly calmed down. They sat down at a table as tea was brought down.
“Where is he?” Keshi asked, still whimpering.
“In our prison.”
“But-” Keshi sniffled. “But does he get a trial?”
“Not from us.” Jay gulped to try to keep from crying. Keshi’s sensitive emotions always got to him. “We are holding him- holding him until Kingstone retrieves him with 5000 crowns to pay for damages.”
“D-damages?”
“Three broken bluesteel-edged blades, two missing legs, two missing arms. He attempted to kill me.”
“Only because you forced him too!” Keshi began to sob harder. “Just g-g-go! I need to be a-lo-lone.”

“I hear you like chess, Kordon.”
“All I would like is to see Keshi or one of the ‘Glaive”
“Please, you will, just sit, let’s discuss what happened over chess.”

Kordon and Jay sat at a chess table, guards to the side of the room. Kordon had no restraints but the inability to exit the large room in the Palace.
“Prepared to lose? I’ll let you play white.”
“I’m better than you may believe, Kordon, but I will play white.” Jay moved the pawn in front of the King two spaces forwards.
“I am a diplomat, you know, I’m not supposed to be imprisoned.” Kordon moved his King’s pawn two spaces, meeting the other in the center.
“Even Icarus would agree attempting to murder me is proper justification.” Jay moved his kingside knight in front of the rank his bishop was on.
“Not after your
murd- Never mind, actually, it was indeed my fault.” Kordon moved the pawn in front of his Queen one space.
“Sounds like you know something even I don’t.” Jay moved his other knight in front of his other bishop.

“The book I read talks about Kingstone.” Kordon moved his queenside knight the same way Jay did.
“Really? I have never been there. We haven’t even had any past contact.” Jay moved his bishop in front
of  his queenside knight.

“I know things that I know you know but won’t admit.” Kordon moved his bishop diagonal to Jay’s kingside knight. If Jay moved the knight, the bishop could take Jay’s Queen.
“I see you are behaving well to tell Icarus about this. I will defend it properly and all will be taken care of in a proper manner.” Jay moved his kingside knight, taking the pawn in front of Kordon’s King. The Queen was open.
“Quite a blunder,
Jay.” Kordon said as he took the Queen.
“Actually, it was your
blunder.
” Jay said as he took the pawn in front of Kordon’s kingside bishop. The kingside knight protected the bishop. “Check. One move.”
Kordon moved his King one space forwards, nowhere else to go. Jay moved his queenside knight next to his other knight.

“Checkmate.”

Jay sat in his library, reading a book. A knock percussed through the room.
“Come
in.” Jay replied as he looked towards the door. Keshi came in, still sniffling. “I am glad you decided to come up here and help me find out what exactly he read to make him try to kill me.”
“He tried to kill you because of a book?”
“I believe so, he made it obvious. I need to know what to expect when he tells Forde about whatever
it it.” A few books sat on the reading desk, all open. “These are the books he had open when I arrived.”
“What- what are they?”
“The Incomplete History of Valland Ships, The Economic Handbook, and, I believe this is what he read, The Adventures of King Jay Porter. My father wrote this but never specified he was the nineteenth except in a few spots.” Keshi stared at the book for a moment.
“What does it say?”
“Do you remember the strange trip he took for a month right before his death?”
“Of course, I practically had to run the place when you were busy.”
“These are the records of his travels. He never specified any names of Kingdoms, but the whole book is so ridiculous I never took it seriously.” Jay looked at the book again. “He mentioned a city of dwarves and tunnels upon tunnels upon tunnels. I knew Icarus’ description of Solis was familiar.”
“What did-” Keshi sniffed. “What did he say he did?”
“There is quite a bit, I’m writing specific quotes down to summarize what he did in Solis. I believe Kordon is not aware that it was my father who wrote this, not him.”
“So why did you call me here?”
“I just wanted to let you know Kordon has some justification. The attack was unnecessary, but he most likely had a legitimate reason to attack me.” Jay resumed reading, the book
open about two thirds
of the way through.

Excerpts from “The Adventures of King Jay Porter” by King Jay Porter IXX
With commentary from King Jay Porter XX

“The land was like nothing I had ever seen, mountains pierced with pores the led everywhere. A city of dwarves. However, they worshipped Glod not, yet
still I could profit from them.”
This quote matches the description of King Forde and his conquering of Solis. He obviously intended to extend the size of Valland, but later will prove to fail. I believe he intended to become important enough to convince their King to join him.

“However, soon after my arrival, the dwarves began a war with a great power. Even their small frontal army was nothing compared to that of the entire dwarven army. Loss after loss, death after death, I needed a way to save my investment.”
He was willing to do anything for profit, even if it would cost most more. He began to study books of religion and war and
magic, until he came across a record that proved worthwhile.

“I read a book named ‘The Magic of Days Past’ and it read: ‘There was a great demon named Formitiis who once every few hundred years would make a portal and plague the world. A group of great heroes would close the portal every time.
Formitiis learned patience and struck as a land named Magvel and another named Neganland were warring with one another and a group of pirates. As the three worked together and attempted to freeze the portal, it was too late. However, they were partially successful, and the world collapsed and began again, the people with faint memories of their past existence. Formitiis was sealed back into his dimension, unable to break through, although help from our dimension may break the barrier. However, his summoning spell still works, but only summons Formitiis’ powerful second hand: The Desolate One. The Desolate One strikes a deal with whoever summons him to destroy a target.’”
He later went on to summon the Desolate One, but it only made matters worse. The Desolate One hurt Solis even
more,
and was not even successful.

“The time has come to run. The armies, although at great cost, have almost subdued the army of The Desolate One and will soon attack us yet again. I have begun my voyage home.”
King Jay Porter IXX unleashed a great evil that killed many upon Kingstone. This is most likely the reason why Kordon attempted to murder me, believing that I was the one who did this, not my father. The Desolate One may have something to do with the halvening, but I am not sure.

THIS IS A LETTER TO KINGSTONE
SEND DIRECTLY TO KING FORDE
FROM KING JAY PORTER XX OF
VALLAND

Kordon has attempted to murder myself in my private library. Three of my men are missing limbs due to his actions. The library was only meant to be accessible to me and anyone I supervise, but Kordon got in. He believes I am responsible for a great tragedy when I am not. However, Kordon sadly must be executed because he is dangerous. Tommorow morning, he will be executed unless you pay 1,000,000 Crowns. We will then discuss the specifics of what occured
. However, the crowns must be paid before we will be able to let him go.

My Apologies, King Jay Porter XX

Edited by 20JPorter

Sign in to follow this