Sign in to follow this  
Faceman

State of the Realm III

coa.png

State of the Realm III

So its been roughly 18 months since my last State of the Realm address and since kicking off 2019, I wanted to cover the overall vision for the year and what has changed over the course of 2018. This post will be a bit lengthy but the goal here is to fully inform every one of what is going on both on the front lines and behind the scenes (where I like to hide :D ).

2018 Change Highlights

MC 1.13

We launched 1.13 with Season 5 on July 28th, 2018 after the previous map had been around for roughly 8 months. So far Season 5 is 6 months old and still going strong. We reset for the 1.13 update due to the major world generation changes but moving forward we started off Season5 with an 8K x 8K map, our smallest starting map size to date. This will open the opportunity to expand our border in 3 increments for the next 3 updates at 5K-8K in each expansion. The main goal is map longevity and to encourage large builds, projects, and map development. We’ve talked about it for years, but now we’re doing it. We want to hit a year old map and then some. This season will stick around until 1.16 (assuming this comes to pass) at a minimum before a reset will be considered. The only way, and I mean THE ONLY way this may be circumvented is by community wide referendum to force a reset.

Staff shakeup & Ministry revivals

Coinciding with the map reset, a staff shakeup resulted about a month prior so that new blood and new ideas could be brought into the fold. This shakeup amounted to Parliament being completely dissolved and reappointing a Duke, now held by @rolo_, and a new Count held by @Pandeoo. The next deliberation was over the appointment of the permanent Baron seats in the lower council to which resulted in those who could potentially lead a ministry.

Before the reset, the only operating ministry was the Interior and with the staff purging, the Interior also was completely cleaned out. @FearlessPie121 was approached for the job of Minister of the Interior with a permanent Baron seat and accepted. @RashE (IrashiHeart)  was approached to head the newly reformed Ministry of Competition and take on the second permanent seat and also accepted.

In October, I personally reformed the Ministry of Communications and brought in @rolo_ as deputy and @Redstonehax for plugin development.

End Resets & Tuesday Updates

Not even two months into the new Season, Parliament was given a new and challenging problem to solve. Previously our End dimension had no border so that elytras would not “run out” perse and to give way for infinite exploration. While an effective solution, there were drawbacks; most notably in disk space. So I was put to task to come up with more solutions and came back with only one other option.

• Option 1: Use the previous solution and worry about map size later
  • Option 2: Reset the end so that structures will be regenerated and the loot with it

Option 1 was faced with a few problems: we required a plugin for it and it was not working with 1.13, this would guarantee the End grow to several gigs in size. The End in Season4 was 4 gigs in size while we usually average 400-800MB. Players also had to travel 10,000-15,000+ blocks before finding 1 unlooted city. Option 2 had the obvious benefit of shorter travel and smaller disk space requirements. We also didn’t need a plugin to do this, which reduced overhead on the server. One glaring problem remained: same seed, same locations. One person with coordinates could clear out the end every week.

We were faced with waiting on the plugin developer to update his plugin, me to rewrite said plugin, or to pursue changing the seed somehow. The first 2 options would take too much time, so I investigated option 2 and developed a solution in python that changed the seed and reset gateways via script, no plugin needed.

Starting August 21st, 2018, a major change was implemented in our weekly maintenance routines, and now the End is reset with a new seed, fresh gateways, and the main island and end farm is retained each week.

New Roleplay

Beginning in August 2018, the Roleplay was revamped and restarted with the collaboration of @RashE (IrashiHeart) and @FearlessPie121. They have taken the successful elements of my previous build-em-up and fight for title RP and the wildly successful elements of the late Season 4 RP to bring you the new gold standard set forth in Season 5. Several factions and several dozen characters have been created with DND flair and style. The RP is expected to pick back up once we all settle in from the holiday season and get back to our regular schedules.

Comms also has some exciting developments to embellish the RP in the future, but this will be covered further down.

2019 Vision and Developments

With the changes made in 2018, we’ve got many exciting developments to look forward to in 2019. Parliament has been at its strongest since we the first provisional group was formed back in 2016. The RP has been rebuilt to last an entire season with namely player initiated events with some staff-assisted events mixed in. Season 5 is being guaranteed to last for quite some time for those who are skeptical in starting large projects over the course of the year, so feel free to start putting pickaxes and shovels to the ground and make a mark on the community.

We’ve also got some new plugins developed in-house by myself and @Redstonehax in Comms that will getting released either on January 8th or January 15th. These plugins are pieces that make up the system currently named Everneth Ministerial Interface or EMI. Since its highly technical, I’ll briefly go over what each plugin does so that there’s at least an attempt made at full disclosure. The endgame for these plugins is to tightly weave together the forums and the server and bring out some new features!

EMI

Completed Work

This is the core system that runs and feeds the rest of our in-house applications. At present it collects player names and UUIDs when they join the server and displays MOTDs from each ministry as they are set. It also created an API for us to retrieve in-game playerdata, stats, and advancements on the forums for another project. We also have integrated a Discord bot, The Wench as some may have already noticed, to introduce a /report command. This command will trigger the discord bot to post a report with your name, uuid, location, and description of the report in the #help channel of our Discord guild/server.

Accompanying that is the !!help-clear command that will clean up the channel once a problem is resolved. Starting the next update of EMI, a transcript will be kept of each report and posted in parliament #staff-room and a copy of the embed will be posted in our logs.

Work In Progress

A tournaments system is being developed for Competition GMs to help them facilitate and run 1v1, 2v2, and FFA style tournaments. Most of the details here are under the hood functionality that will mostly be for GM such as bracket generation, automatic scoreboard management, title and subtitle round announcements and more.

Planned Work

None at this time.

EMI-Extras

This is a “for fun” additional plugin that piggybacks off of the main system.

Completed Work

So far there are only 3 new commands coming with this plugin. A /shrug [text] command that imitates the discord /shrug command. A /map command that will reply with a link to our Main and Test server maps. Lastly, a /pie command to continue the meme of how @FearlessPie121 welcomes newcomers to Everneth.

Nothing else is in progress or planned for this plugin.

EMI-RP

This is a companion plugin for the Roleplay and will bring about several new systems and features to enhance and embellish the roleplay and make PvE more interactive for those participating.

Work in Progress

Guilds System – To be a drop in replacement for factions that will allow members to form guilds, add/remove members, promote/demote officers and pass on leadership as required. Guilds will be scored by contributions from their members in competitions, events, and the RP.  While the guilds system was created with RP in mind, it’s not strictly for the RP either. Guild creation will also create a club on the forums for the guild members to communicate privately.

Planned Work

Quests System – This system would allow staff and players to design and build quests laid out in a template JSON file and loaded when the plugin is enabled or when the quests are reloaded. These quests will be used to deliver and facilitate official RP sanctioned quests/storylines and help give a means to track players progress via advancements.

Website Updates

Player Profiles

The culmination of all our efforts! The player profiles are the final goal and these are geared to showcase everything you have done and achieved in the game on a public profile for all to see. While we have nothing to demo yet for this system, I often tell folks to picture WoW-esque character profiles where we only have the player skin, advancement progress and stats.

Before we could start on player profiles, we first needed EMI up and running since the data we use for the profiles is dependent upon it! But we have the data feeds in place, we just need to finish the design of the profiles and get them in testing.

Guild Profiles

A simple addition to the player profiles once complete, the guild profiles would merely be an extension to list guilds, their members, ranks, and score. With this in place we can introduce more awards and competitions and make changing seasons less of a chore, however; that’s not to say we don’t want to keep maps as long as possible!

Wrap-up

I know by now you probably are tired of reading all of this, or just skipped here for a TL;DR. In short, we’ve made lots of changes over the year to pave the way for 2019, and we’re keeping Season 5 alive and strong for many months to come. I hope you’re as hyped as I am for the works in progress and can’t wait for these projects to be rolled out. Its going to be a big year for Everneth! Let’s get crackin!

Faceman
King of Everneth

badge.png

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this