leftyytv

What is One Weird Thing that Happens Every year in Your Hometown

For example, Im from small town Kentucky (USA), And the stereotype of "Hillbilly" is hated by most, Yet every year there is a celebration literally named "Hillbilly Days" in the eastern part of the state that lasts for 3 DAYS?

not my town but my state of Ohio. Ohio tends to be thought of as a conservative state but if you go into the major cities there are major events every year (like pride festivals) that contradict the majority of the state. also ohio is basically the other 49 states averaged out.

Edited by DefendPopPunk

Every summer it gets so hot my friends and I abandon the stoves in preference of the sidewalk. If you haven't made Sidewalk toast and eggs, you haven't lived in Arizona

Oh that's pretty cool, in general my hometown is fairly boring but we have this festival called the chilli festival and as a part of it there's a chilli eating competition where people basically eat hotter and hotter chillis until they either throw up or give up

Up North from me there is a Festival every year where people try to grow the best apples? Like how does one grow a better apple? And its not like different types of apples, its the same type of apple but somehow one persons apples are better than anothers..I dont get it, I life in a weird place huh? Compared to you guys trying to think of ANYTHING and I just throw two out there because thats how weird my area is! 

Does german carnival count? Basically there's a parade of people in fancy dress. They're either on wagons, sometimes on horseback or on foot, throwing candy at children. It's a great tradition that's basically celebrated all over the country but mostly in my area :)

In NYC there is this bizarre celebration each year called Mermaid Day, and apparently its a day where artists get together and make art and costumes about mermaids of all things?? I never understood it.

Not my hometown but a town near me has a festival centring around the Burryman and its a little terrifying but nonetheless locals and tourists alike go absolutely crazy for the festival.

18 hours ago, UnholySerenade said:

In NYC there is this bizarre celebration each year called Mermaid Day, and apparently its a day where artists get together and make art and costumes about mermaids of all things?? I never understood it.

as an artist who absolutely loves mermaids I'm so into this idea! 

On 1/15/2020 at 11:58 PM, FearlessPie121 said:

Every summer it gets so hot my friends and I abandon the stoves in preference of the sidewalk. If you haven't made Sidewalk toast and eggs, you haven't lived in Arizona

Any time anyone mentions AZ weather I think of this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PYt0SDnrBE

Fourth of July near my town (in Illinois) a park throws a HUGE festival with kids and fireworks and bouncy houses. I go every year and hang out with the boys, it's always an adventure! I also do a tradition of climbing this one playground tower.

My hometown had this summer festival. Basically the idea was that everyone got together and had food, fun and entertainment there and it was fun. Wasn't too big though...